Flower Chests

These chests were a pain to sand and stain. An absolute pain. It took me over two years to complete them and at one point I almost tossed them in the garbage. The boxes were purchased from Hobby Lobby.

The problems: First the tops and sides of the boxes were so fragile they were difficult to sand. Second, I tried to use Minwax Gel Stain on the inside of the box – that went very poorly. On the plus side, this was a test of the Gel Stain before I put it on something much larger. I tossed the Gel Stain to never to be used again.

Three Nesting Boxes

First, I sanded the boxes and applied stain all over, even the areas I intended to paint. Second, I applied the first coat of varnish to the areas I was not going to paint. I apply varnish to seal the wood just in case I accidently got paint on unwanted areas of the boxes. Paint can easily be cleaned off the varnish areas before it dries, otherwise the paint would soak into the wood. Next, I painted the tops, sides, and the inside bottoms of the boxes using chalk paint.

After everything had dried and I was satisfied with the painting, I sanded the box again and applied another coat of varnish. Matte varnish on the painted areas and gloss varnish on the stained areas. Afterwards, I decided to add something extra. I created a mosaic pattern on the inside of the box, which I created from Sculpey Clay. I put a light coat of varnish on the bottom of the box before I poured resin over the pattern.

Since the bottom of the box was already painted. I didn’t see the need to fill the spaces with grout.

I still was not satisfied with color of the boxes. I wanted them to be darker. So, I lightly sanded the boxes with steel wool and applied a coat of Minwax Polyshade. It has stain and polyurethane.

Felt was added to the front and sides of the boxes because I thought if anyone wanted to store anything small in the boxes, it would just fallout through the holes.

Flower Box

Over the summer, I decided to stain and paint some of the wood items that was in my to do pile. I purchased the box from Walmart. It was stained with Minwax Red Mahoney. I sprayed the entire box with Minwax Polyurethane because if I made a mistake on painting the box, the paint would not soaked into the wood and I could wipe the paint off before it dried. I painted the box using chalk paint.

I did not paint the inside of the box. It was stained and sealed using polyurethane.

Double Crosses

These are the crosses I did for Mother’s Day gifts.  I ordered the blank wooden crosses from ArtisticCraftSupply on Etsy in July 2016.

The top piece on the cross was stained.  I left the back side of the top piece unfinished so I would have a better chance for the pieces adhering together when they were glued together.  The bottom cross was sealed with white primer, several coats.  I did a fluid painting pour over the top of the crosses using chalk paint.  The colors were: Dark blue, white, light pink, light green, light purple and light yellow.  I added Floetrol and water each paint color to help the paint flow, and silicon to the mixture to help form the cells.

After the bottom cross dried for several weeks, I cleaned the crosses with a mixture of Dawn and water.  I sprayed the mixture on the crosses and wiped gently.  After I let it sit for several weeks, I glued the top cross onto the bottom cross using wood glue.  Several coats of glossy vanish was used to finish the cross.

20180501_105655.jpg20180501_113743.jpg20180501_114327.jpg

I put a hanger on back of each cross attached with a screw.  The screw goes into both pieces of wood, so if the glue fails I have a backup.

The Box Project

I found this box at Hobby Lobby and I had to finish it.  I decided to stain and varnish the box and for the cut out, to use chalk paint.  Since I never used chalk paint, I decided I needed a test piece to determine if I wanted an antique finished.

This is the test piece with the same chalk color and an antique finished.

DSCN8796
Needless to say, I did not go with an antique finish.

The box frame was stain in dark walnut and varnish with a clear gloss.  The cutout was stained in ebony.

DSCN8773

DSCN8774

I painted the inside of the lid to match the outside.

DSCN8779

To finish off the box, I decide to put a mosaic pattern on the inside of the box that match, not exactly, the cover of the box.  The mosaic tiles were made from polymer clay.  For the grout I used gold puff paint, a.k.a. fabric paint.

DSCN8788

The filler mosaic is a black, brown, turquoise, gold combination.  Since I had a lot of extra clay, I decide to use them on the test cross piece.  This is the final result.

DSCN8789