Double Crosses

These are the crosses I did for Mother’s Day gifts.  I ordered the blank wooden crosses from ArtisticCraftSupply on Etsy in July 2016.

The top piece on the cross was stained.  I left the back side of the top piece unfinished so I would have a better chance for the pieces adhering together when they were glued together.  The bottom cross was sealed with white primer, several coats.  I did a fluid painting pour over the top of the crosses using chalk paint.  The colors were: Dark blue, white, light pink, light green, light purple and light yellow.  I added Floetrol and water each paint color to help the paint flow, and silicon to the mixture to help form the cells.

After the bottom cross dried for several weeks, I cleaned the crosses with a mixture of Dawn and water.  I sprayed the mixture on the crosses and wiped gently.  After I let it sit for several weeks, I glued the top cross onto the bottom cross using wood glue.  Several coats of glossy vanish was used to finish the cross.

20180501_105655.jpg20180501_113743.jpg20180501_114327.jpg

I put a hanger on back of each cross attached with a screw.  The screw goes into both pieces of wood, so if the glue fails I have a backup.

Cosmo of Color

I had the idea that I wanted to do a pour painting that was larger than my normal 4″ x 4″ painting.  However, a large canvas can be expensive, ranging from a $5 to $50 depending on the quality.  Add on the cost of the paint and additive, a larger painting could easily cost $20+ to complete.  Did I have the experience needed to pour a larger canvas?

It occurred to me, I had a used 16″ x 20″ canvas.  It was a photo canvas from Walgreen that someone did not like and told me to throw it out.  However, I have issues with disposing of items that could be used in my crafts.  I double checked with the previous owner to make sure they did not want it, and I Gesso the photo canvas.  Still, nervous about painting the canvas, I let it sit for several weeks.  Then, I put on a second layer of Gesso, and let it sit for another week.

The colors I selected for the pour were:

wp-1523285292231.jpg

I found the paint on sale for 99 cents.  The painting took about 32 ounces of a mixture of paint, Floetrol paint additive, water, and a few drops of silicone.

The results:

20180409_092951.jpg

The technique I used was dirty cup pour.