My favorite type of day to take pictures; lots of sun and a blue sky.
I wanted to create something very colorful. I wanted it to feature the five-petal flowers I drew when I was younger. It was drawn on a 16″x20″ black art board using Sakura Moonlight pens. I used every color in the set plus their white pens.
I was looking through my boxes, yes boxes, of crafts I had not finished for my next project, and I found the nativity set. I opened the top cover of the box, and everything looked yellow. Then I removed the plastic cover, and the pieces was still white and in great shape. The price tag on the box had the year of 2004. This set survived a flood and traveled over 1100 miles to it new home.
I painted each piece with acrylic paint, but I wanted the pieces to sparkle. After the paint dried, I applied pearl glaze over each piece. Usually, the pearl glaze is added to the painted, but using it like varnish, gave the pieces the shine I wanted. To seal the pieces, I sprayed each with polyacrylic varnish.
This is another project that was sitting around for a long time waiting for me to finish it. I do have a few excuses: 1) Resin is difficult to work with so I normally put it off; and 2) Items should be varnished in warm weather. For these coasters, I use the Fluid Painting technique, also known as Pour Painting.
I first sealed the wood tiles using a white primer and let it dry for a few days. The paint mixture was 1 part acrylic paint to 2 parts Floetrol, with a drop of shredder oil. The different color paint, white, pink, light blue, dark blue, purple, red was layered in a cup (multiple time) and pour over the wood tiles.
I let the paint dry for weeks, before cleaning it with a mixture of Dawn soap and water. Again, I let it dry for a few days before spraying the tiles with varnish. And, then they sat for months. I had to dust them off before pouring the resin over the tiles. Resin does not like dust or oil. Either of these on the surface would cause bad results.
After letting the resin cure for a few weeks, I put glued cork on the back of each tile.
The parts for this tiny vase have been laying in my craft area for a long time, and I finally got around to assembling flower arrangement. It was made with left over Sculpey clay and baked in the oven. I sprayed the arrangement with polyacrylic varnish. The flower arrangement is approximately 4″ tall.