Fluid Painting

I love fluid / pour painting.  I am not sure what the difference is, but I am still learning.  This was my first attempt at putting silicone in the paint to make cells.  I never thought I would like the cells, but my first attempt looks amazing.

Thanks to MomDot.com I learned that you could put Floetrol in your paint to make it flow easier, instead of more expensive alternatives.  I used acrylic chalk paint because I wanted the matte finish look.

I hope they dry as pretty has they look now.


Pour Painting – The Stools

Fluid Painting / Pour painting is amazing! I could sit and watch the videos all day.  My first attempt was the tissue box and it came out great.  (In my opinion!)  All of my sisters have birthday in January.  I thought they would each like a stool with the top poured.

First I sanded, stained and applied varnish to the stools, except for the top.  For the top,  I applied a coat of white primer.  After the top dried for a couple of days, I wrapped the stools in a plastic bag (except for the top) and tape around with bottom edge with blue painter’s tape.

The first stool, I used metallic acrylic paint that came in the 2oz bottles.  But, first a applied a thin layer of white metallic paint.  I applied each color separately.  After a lot of tilting and tapping, this was the result.


The second stool, I used acrylic glitter paint.  I had the idea, but I first asked my sister “if they considered themselves a glitter family.”  The paint was applied the same way as the first stool.  White glitter paint first, then each color.


I finished the stools by adding several coats of polyurethane.

Piano Jewelry Box

It appears I forget to share my Piano Jewelry Box.  Since, I give away most of the items I finish as gifts,  I normally have to wait until after their birthday blog about it.

The piano box was ordered from Amazon in November with an expect delivery date in December.  It was delayed so many times, Amazon threaten the supplier with cancellation if they did not ship it.  It finally arrive in early January 2017, which left me with only two weeks to finish the box and ship it out.

The box was finished with ebony stain.  I wanted to get it dark, really dark, like a grand piano.  The box appeared to have the keyboard cover down, so I did not have to paint keys on the piano.  The name plate was made with polymer clay. The balls on the legs were painted with silver acrylic paint and numerous coats of polyurethane to give it a high gloss shine.


I thought about putting music notes inside the jewelry box, but after some thought and test runs, I decided the space inside was small and it would not hold much.  So, I made polymer clay roses and put them inside the box.  The leafs were left overs from other projects.  The roses were glued down and coated with several layers of polyurethane.


Maybe I should write a blog about how I make roses from clay.  I make them differently than what I have seen on other websites.  And, I have been making the same way since the Play-doh days.

Tissue Box

I saw a some videos on fluid painting and pour painting.  Just watching the videos is mesmerizing, and the results are beautiful.  I decided to try it out.  But, I did not have any fluid to add to paint to get it to flow.  All I had was the acrylic paint that comes in the 2oz bottles.  I use a trash bag and painter tapes to tape off each side that I would not be painting.   I used metallic acrylic paint.   Letting each side cure overnight.  It took days to finished.  The outcome was impressive.


Now, I trying to decide if I should do a pour on the inside of the tissue box, or just leave it like it is.

Jewelry Box

In August 2016, my parents house flooded.  They had 44 inches of water in their home and they lost most of their belonging.  For Christmas I stained and put mosaic on a jewelry box for my mother.


The box was purchased from Hobby Lobby.  The mosaics was done with polymer clay, and for the grout I used glue and micro beads.




Several coats of polyurethane was placed over every surface, including the mosaic.

The Box Project

I found this box at Hobby Lobby and I had to finish it.  I decided to stain and varnish the box and for the cut out, to use chalk paint.  Since I never used chalk paint, I decided I needed a test piece to determine if I wanted an antique finished.

This is the test piece with the same chalk color and an antique finished.

Needless to say, I did not go with an antique finish.

The box frame was stain in dark walnut and varnish with a clear gloss.  The cutout was stained in ebony.



I painted the inside of the lid to match the outside.


To finish off the box, I decide to put a mosaic pattern on the inside of the box that match, not exactly, the cover of the box.  The mosaic tiles were made from polymer clay.  For the grout I used gold puff paint, a.k.a. fabric paint.


The filler mosaic is a black, brown, turquoise, gold combination.  Since I had a lot of extra clay, I decide to use them on the test cross piece.  This is the final result.