Sprig of Spring

Sprig of Spring was done on 3 1/2 inch Studio Series Artist’s Tile, using Faber Castell Pitt pens and Prismacolor Color Pencils.

I have been trying to do a drawing every day, since November.  Some days the drawings are decent, some day they are not.  And, a few days they were so bad, that they could only be saved by adding color.


My daily drawing started with the book “One Zentangle a Day”.  This is not a true Zentangle, but it does incorporate some of the elements.  I like the Studio Artist Series Tile for the following reasons:  1) they are inexpensive, and 2) ink, water color, and pens tend not to bleed.


Streaking is a fluid painting on a 4×4 inch canvas.  First, the canvas was dipped into the left over paint from my previous pour, Confusion on Blue.  I then poured a mixed of dark blue and light green randomly over the canvas.  Afterwards, I put drops of light pink and light purple paint on the canvas.  Using a coffee stirrer, I swirled the paint around.  I was going to tilt the canvas in multiple directions, but I like how it was looking.


This is my last pour painting until I get my canvas stand designed and printed.  I hope the stand will improve the air flow around the canvas allowing for better drying.

Becoming Yellow

Today’s 4×4 inch fluid painting is named, Becoming Yellow.  The feature colors are:  white, bright yellow, light yellow, golden straw, and orange.  This painting may become the background from something else in the future, but first it needs to dry.


Hearts on Fire

This fluid painting in named Hearts on Fire.  The red and yellow heart looking designs were created by dripping paint on the pour and blowing through a small straw (coffee stirrer).


The background colors were layered using my 3d printed object in the order from bottom to top; black, Tahiti blue, white, Tahiti blue, with dots of red and yellow on top.

Ghost Paws

This Fluid Painting is named Ghost Paws.  I see a white dog to the upper center left and other areas of the painting looks paw prints.


First I put a layer of white paint on the canvas and layered the paint with black, blue (Tahiti Blue), white, black, and blue.  I used the 3D printed object to layer the paint.

Chocolate Explosion

I am calling today’s Fluid Painting Chocolate Explosion.  It reminds me of chocolate milk.  This painting took on a different twist.  First I designed and printed the 3D object, shown below, to create my painting.  The object has an 2″ diameter, and 1″ tall.  The holes are 8mm with the center hole 10mm.  By applying a thin layer of paint to the canvas, I was able to place the object on top of the canvas and fill with layers of paint.  No paint leaked out until I lifted the object.

The small painting measuring 4″x4″.   First I put a light pink color on the canvas, and then place the object on top.  I then pours light blue, dark blue, light yellow, chocolate, and pink into the container.  I let it sit for a few minutes and blew gentle on it to release air bubbles.   When I lifted the object straight up, the paint flowed out of the object quickly.  After tilting the canvas, this was the result.


Fluid Painting – First Video


This is my first attempt at filming my pour painting.  I only used a 4″ x 4″ canvas.  Since it was a small painting, I used the 2 oz bottles of acrylic paint, mix with Floetrol with a drip of silicone to provide the cells.

The colors used were pink, light purple, light blue, red with a hint of black, black and white.


The video is below.  Please ignore were the painting falls over.  A Styrofoam cup is the perfect size to place on the back, between the frame, to hold the canvas off of the surface for dripping.  On the plus side, it spread the paint evenly on that side.

The end result.  I hope that is dries this pretty.


After the painting dripped on the plastic, it had a nice design.  I grabbed another canvas and dipped it into the paint.  Below is the result.  It can always be used for one of my tangle drawings.


Fluid Painting

I love fluid / pour painting.  I am not sure what the difference is, but I am still learning.  This was my first attempt at putting silicone in the paint to make cells.  I never thought I would like the cells, but my first attempt looks amazing.

Thanks to MomDot.com I learned that you could put Floetrol in your paint to make it flow easier, instead of more expensive alternatives.  I used acrylic chalk paint because I wanted the matte finish look.

I hope they dry as pretty has they look now.