Polymer Clay Crosses

I spent some time creating crosses from polymer clay, which was left over from all of the other polymer clay projects.

First the pretty crosses:

IMG_0925 (2)IMG_0926 (2)IMG_0929 (2)IMG_0930 (2)IMG_0947 (2)

The difficult cross:

Folding clay and braiding clay is a little bit challenging.

IMG_0910

IMG_0944 (2)

Interesting Crosses:

IMG_0934 (2)IMG_0935 (2)IMG_0932 (2)

The weird ones:

IMG_0933 (2)IMG_0937 (2)IMG_0939 (2)

IMG_0942 (2)

Do You See the Butterflies?

IMG_0940 (2)IMG_0908 (2)

Double Crosses

These are the crosses I did for Mother’s Day gifts.  I ordered the blank wooden crosses from ArtisticCraftSupply on Etsy in July 2016.

The top piece on the cross was stained.  I left the back side of the top piece unfinished so I would have a better chance for the pieces adhering together when they were glued together.  The bottom cross was sealed with white primer, several coats.  I did a fluid painting pour over the top of the crosses using chalk paint.  The colors were: Dark blue, white, light pink, light green, light purple and light yellow.  I added Floetrol and water each paint color to help the paint flow, and silicon to the mixture to help form the cells.

After the bottom cross dried for several weeks, I cleaned the crosses with a mixture of Dawn and water.  I sprayed the mixture on the crosses and wiped gently.  After I let it sit for several weeks, I glued the top cross onto the bottom cross using wood glue.  Several coats of glossy vanish was used to finish the cross.

20180501_105655.jpg20180501_113743.jpg20180501_114327.jpg

I put a hanger on back of each cross attached with a screw.  The screw goes into both pieces of wood, so if the glue fails I have a backup.

K’s Passions

Today is the first full day of Spring.  It is also Down Syndrome awareness day.  Down Syndrome is a genetic disorder.  Yes, they were born that way.  My nephew Kegan has down syndrome and he has grown into a man that loves a lot and has many passions.

Today, drawing shows a few of Kegan’s passions.

20180321_131855.jpg

Drawn on a Zentangle tile with Sakura pens.

The Box Project

I found this box at Hobby Lobby and I had to finish it.  I decided to stain and varnish the box and for the cut out, to use chalk paint.  Since I never used chalk paint, I decided I needed a test piece to determine if I wanted an antique finished.

This is the test piece with the same chalk color and an antique finished.

DSCN8796
Needless to say, I did not go with an antique finish.

The box frame was stain in dark walnut and varnish with a clear gloss.  The cutout was stained in ebony.

DSCN8773

DSCN8774

I painted the inside of the lid to match the outside.

DSCN8779

To finish off the box, I decide to put a mosaic pattern on the inside of the box that match, not exactly, the cover of the box.  The mosaic tiles were made from polymer clay.  For the grout I used gold puff paint, a.k.a. fabric paint.

DSCN8788

The filler mosaic is a black, brown, turquoise, gold combination.  Since I had a lot of extra clay, I decide to use them on the test cross piece.  This is the final result.

DSCN8789