I spent some time creating crosses from polymer clay, which was left over from all of the other polymer clay projects.
First the pretty crosses:
The difficult cross:
Folding clay and braiding clay is a little bit challenging.
The weird ones:
Do You See the Butterflies?
These are the crosses I did for Mother’s Day gifts. I ordered the blank wooden crosses from ArtisticCraftSupply on Etsy in July 2016.
The top piece on the cross was stained. I left the back side of the top piece unfinished so I would have a better chance for the pieces adhering together when they were glued together. The bottom cross was sealed with white primer, several coats. I did a fluid painting pour over the top of the crosses using chalk paint. The colors were: Dark blue, white, light pink, light green, light purple and light yellow. I added Floetrol and water each paint color to help the paint flow, and silicon to the mixture to help form the cells.
After the bottom cross dried for several weeks, I cleaned the crosses with a mixture of Dawn and water. I sprayed the mixture on the crosses and wiped gently. After I let it sit for several weeks, I glued the top cross onto the bottom cross using wood glue. Several coats of glossy vanish was used to finish the cross.
I put a hanger on back of each cross attached with a screw. The screw goes into both pieces of wood, so if the glue fails I have a backup.
This is not technically a pour painting. It is a painting I dip into the paint after I did a pour on other canvas. It has been curing while I been deciding what to paint on the top. Probably because it is the Easter season, I had this idea.
I originally was only going to paint the crosses in black, but a dark gray and chocolate brown was sitting right next to the black. Two feet over, the gray-blue was sitting there. I looked at them and knew that would work.
I found this box at Hobby Lobby and I had to finish it. I decided to stain and varnish the box and for the cut out, to use chalk paint. Since I never used chalk paint, I decided I needed a test piece to determine if I wanted an antique finished.
This is the test piece with the same chalk color and an antique finished.
Needless to say, I did not go with an antique finish.
The box frame was stain in dark walnut and varnish with a clear gloss. The cutout was stained in ebony.
I painted the inside of the lid to match the outside.
To finish off the box, I decide to put a mosaic pattern on the inside of the box that match, not exactly, the cover of the box. The mosaic tiles were made from polymer clay. For the grout I used gold puff paint, a.k.a. fabric paint.
The filler mosaic is a black, brown, turquoise, gold combination. Since I had a lot of extra clay, I decide to use them on the test cross piece. This is the final result.