Below is the result of my experiment with Derwent Inktense pencils. These pencils work by adding color to the paper and applying water. Once dry, the ink is permanent. Watercolor pencils and paint you can remoisten.
The drawing was done of watercolor paper with Micron pens.
Here is my latest drawing on four tiles. Almost from the very from the first curve that went down on the paper, I was saying to myself “Nope! I don’t like that.” I few more curves and a little color, still “I don’t like that.” But, I decided instead of trashing the tiles I would complete the drawing and put the tiles away to never to be seen again.
Somewhere towards the end, either when the green leaves were being drawn or the blue background was being added, my opinion of the drawing changed to “Okay, now that really look cool.”
My Christmas Cards are mailed. Enough time has passed that most of the cards should have reached their destinations. Now, I can share the cards on my blog.
This year I drew ornaments on 3.5″ square tiles. I selected the high quality tiles, because I wanted to color on the tiles. I keep the color to a minimum because I wanted the ornaments to look delicate like glass Christmas ornaments. Below are a few of the tiles. All of the tiles are located on Drawing page.
I designed the card in CorelDraw. I converted the picture below to an outline drawing to use as a background on the card.
I created an area on the card to put the tile. I have been placing the same symbol with my name on all the back of all my cards since 2004.
The folded card measures 5.25″ square. I embossed several stems on the front of the card, and attached the tiles to the cards with photo corners. I wanted the recipient to be able to remove the tile without damaging the tile. Below is one of the finished cards.
On Tuesday, I was busy so I didn’t draw on any on my 3.5″ tiles. Nor, did I drawing in my sketchbook. I was busy doing other things, working on Christmas cards, editing a photo, pouring resin on wood block, and….
On Wednesday and Thursday, I drew on four tiles.
When I put those four tile together, below are the results.
It took me about 10 weeks, but I filled up another sketchbook. Most of the drawings in the sketchbook are mandalas. Here are a couple of drawings that were not mandala, and several of the mandalas I really liked.
On September 1, 2018, I accepted the 100 Mandalas in 100 Day Challenge. On Day 57 of the Challenge, I have made 100 Mandalas. Kathryn Costa’s book “The Mandala Guidebook“ challenged the readers to create 100 Mandalas in 100 Days.
Below are some of the mandala that I like the best from 081 to 101. All of the drawing for this challenge are posted on the 100 Mandala Challenge page.
Mandala 100 was done on 9″ x 12″ Bristol Board using Faber Castell Pitt pens, Chameleon Markers, and Sakura metallic gel pens.