I been wanting to create some Acrylic Pour Coasters for a while. I purchased 4″ wood tiles from Michael’s and they traveled with me in my car for several months before a was able to work on them.
First, I applied white Gesso to both sides of the wood tile. I mixed the paint in squeeze bottles. The colors I used were pink, purple, grayish blue, light pink, light purple, green and white. I love pinks and blues.
I let the tiles cure for about a month while I was out of town again. I cleaned the tiles with a mixture of Dawn and water, which I keep in a spray bottle. A few weeks later when I got up the courage to apply resin, I poured resin over the coasters.
The tiles did not come out perfect, but it wasn’t a failure either. The tray to hold the tiles was purchased from Hobby Lobby. I stained the inside of the box and two sides. The other two sides I applied Gesso and did a pour on the sides.
I did not pour the inside of the tray, instead I cut out some white polymer clay and did a pour on top of the clay when I poured the tray sides. After I cleaned the tray, I glued the clay to the bottom and applied several coats of varnish.
I glued cork to the back of each coaster using wood glue. Below are the results.
Around this time of the year, I work on something that has a Christmas theme. This year I have painted some wooden Christmas ornaments. Most of the ornaments were purchased from Michael’s Craft Stores in Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana.
The bell ornaments were painted with multiple layers of red and green acrylic paint.
For all the ornaments, I selected the DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint because it is thicker then most paint and covers better. I used Delta Creamcoat for the gold metallic paint. Then I covered the ornaments with Delta Creamcoat Sparkle Glaze. The ornament probably didn’t need to be varnished after the glaze, but I wanted a good high gloss finish, so I put several coats of Miniwax Polycrylic on them. The Polycrylic has worked well on my polymer clay creations.
The snowflake ornaments, yes there are two of them, the base was painted with sapphire and then dry brushed with white paint. I left the edges unpainted because I thought it gave them an old fashioned look.
The angel ornaments were purchase at Hobby Lobby.
I selected yellow and green paint for the star ornaments. Before I applied the glaze, the green areas was dry brushed with gold paint.
The tree and bell ornaments were painted using the same process as described above.
The angel ornaments were purchased at Hobby Lobby. I should have taken time to sand these ornament, because there are a few rough places on them.
This post is Part 1 because there are more ornaments that are unfinished.