Plain on the Outside

I purchased this box unfinished from Hobby Lobby. I had no idea how I would use it, but it serve for several years as a stand for my other projects while they dried. It about 24″ long and 5″ wide, so it was great for sitting items on allowing air to flow underneath.

My goal this year is to complete my unfinished projects. While I was staining my desk, this too got stained. Instead of painting the box, I decided to create a mosaic from polymer clay on the inside of the box. I left the outside of the box plain with a high gloss polyurethane coating.

4″ Wood Squares

I purchased some wood squares from Michael’s. I was going to create fluid art on them and make coasters. I have multiple sets of fluid art coasters so I decided to sand and stain the squares while I was staining my desk. I used acrylic paint markers for the designs and sealed the squares with gloss polycrylic.

I am not sure what to do with these. I may still make coasters out of them. Coaster work better if they are sealed with resin. Which is still possible, because resin work better when the surface is sealed.

Lost in the Colors

Other projects have gotten in the way of posting on my blog. I had a reason for creating this site. If I am not posting regularly then I am not fulfilling that goal.

For Christmas I received some Copic Markers. I want to experiment and test the markers. The drawing below is my experiment. I wanted to see how they flowed and blended.

Inktober 2019

Here is my Inktober Drawing for 2019.  It was done on a 20×16 Bristol Board.  I used the Zentangle method for the drawing.  I marked the four corner, drew wavy lines and circles.  I made sure there was 31 sections and use the 2019 Zentangle Inktober list to fill one section a day.  On October 31, I shaded all section of the drawing.  Below is the results.

20191122_155116.jpg I also did mini (3.5″ x 3.5″) drawings for Inktober.  I used the list provided by Pattern-Collection website.  Those drawings are on the Drawings page.

 

Vases with Polymer Clay

I wanted to see if I could put some polymer clay on a vase, bake it in the oven, and have the clay stick to the vase.  Below is my first vase experiment.  I had a bottle, shape like a light bulb, that was just sitting in a cabinet.

20190824_140114.jpg20190824_140048.jpg

I figured the best way to get it to stick to the vase, was to put a thin layer of polymer clay around the vase and then put the design on it.  Since it was an experiment, I didn’t want to waste a lot of time with the design.  However, it does glow in the dark.

Since it was a success, I did four other vases.

The Sunflower Vase:  I wanted the top and bottom of the vase to look like the petals were coming from the center of a sunflower.

20190824_140629.jpg

20190824_140656.jpg

The Gold Flowery Vase:  From the beginning I wanted a gold lattice work around the vase.  The flower idea come later.   After it was baked, I applied paint to give it an antique look.

20190824_140241.jpg

The Shades of Red Vase:  The original intent was to cover the vase in black, then give it a stain glass appearance.  That idea change when I saw how nice the reds and pinks looked against the black.

20190824_140551.jpg

The Flower Vase:  I extrudes some blue/purple clay that was left over from other projects.  The intent for this vase was to have a delicate flowery pattern.

20190824_140401.jpg

After the vases were baked in the oven and cooled, I applied polyurentane to seal the clay.   Since the clay is not permanently stuck to the vase, I could probably take a sharp Exacto Knife to any vase that turns out poorly to remove the clay.

Mandala’s on Black

Here are a few of my more recent drawings.  I think I have develop an addiction.  I love filling in the drawings will just simple lines.

20190215_09520620190215_09535120190215_09542120190215_095327

The Spiral Puzzle drawing below was a big puzzle trying to figure out where the spirals overlapped.

20190215_095239

Spiral Puzzle

Another drawing celebrating the month of Love.

20190215_095259

Spiral of Love

Half way through drawing the mandala below I noticed that I messed up the pattern.  Instead of tossing it in the garbage and starting over, I came up with a solution.

20190215_095452