Yes, it took me a long time to start and finish the latest Plastercraft houses. These houses were produced by California Creation, (which has gone out of business), and painted by me. The houses are painted with acrylic paint and sealed with gloss varnish.
Yes, it appears that I only painted two houses in 2019. I did not get a chance to seal the houses until a few weeks ago, because of cold weather and Covid-19. (I can’t varnish if someone in the household sinuses gets upset around paint and varnish.)
These are California Creations houses. The company went out of business in the early 2000s. Yes, these have been in storage waiting for me to paint them.
Bed and Breakfast
After two weeks of being back from my long trip, I realized I missed painting my little plaster houses. It is something that I believe that I am good at doing. I am also good at painting walls too. I finished these three houses and started painting three more. I typically paint three houses at a time, so others can be drying as I work on one.
Thatch Roof House
If you would like to know why I called them my rescued houses, check at this blog post: Rescued Houses – Part One
In August 2016, my storage unit flooded when areas of Louisiana received over 25 inches of rain within 24 hours. I was going to abandon the houses that sat in flood water for over a week, but my sister rescued them.
Rescued Houses – Part One
I was excited to paint these house, because they were interesting and unique.
Tailor Shop: Yes, it needed a cooper roof. I had trouble deciding on a color for the door, so I decided to let it stand out.
English Cottage: Painted it a traditional colors. The front door needed to be stained glass colors.
Bed and Breakfast: I wanted my Bed and Breakfast house to have a white porch, but I didn’t want the house to be too dark or pink. I wanted the roof to be a grayish blue.
In August 2016, the storage unit where I kept my belonging flooded. In those belonging was all my Christmas Village Plastercraft Houses. Many of the houses, painted and unpainted, was either wet or underwater for about a week. I was going to abandon them because I had no means of drying or cleaning them. My sister, who showed up to help me salvage what belonging I could, insisted that I could not abandon my houses.
She took all the wet houses to her flooded house, unwrapped, cleaned, and let the houses dry out while her house was drying out. After everything was dried, she carefully packed the house. In June, I was able to retrieve the unpainted houses from her. She did an amazing job. All three of these houses have minor damage, but no house is perfect. Of course, the inserts with suggested painting is gone, so I choose the colors myself.
These are the first three houses that she recovered that I have painted.
Don’s Donuts: I decided I would paint it the colors of the best donut shop, Krispy Kreme. The car had to be blue.
Bowling Alley: I thought this building needed to be bright and metallic.
Toy Maker: Deciding the colors were a little difficult. What colors would Santa have on his shop?
There will be more houses to come. I usually paint three at a time.
Most of the time, I would work on several houses together. As parts on one was drying, I would work on the others.
Country Christmas House
Country Barn Christmas
Country Antique Store
Corner Store 2
This obsession got so big, I created a database to keep track of the houses I painted and ones that are waiting to be painted.
This obsession started in 1990, I was walking through a store (which I will not name) and notice the unpainted houses. I thought, I bet my sister would like those and purchase three and gave them to her as a gift for Christmas. My husband response was “That looks nice!” So, the obsession began.
Beacon Hill House