Plain on the Outside

I purchased this box unfinished from Hobby Lobby. I had no idea how I would use it, but it serve for several years as a stand for my other projects while they dried. It about 24″ long and 5″ wide, so it was great for sitting items on allowing air to flow underneath.

My goal this year is to complete my unfinished projects. While I was staining my desk, this too got stained. Instead of painting the box, I decided to create a mosaic from polymer clay on the inside of the box. I left the outside of the box plain with a high gloss polyurethane coating.

Flower Box

Over the summer, I decided to stain and paint some of the wood items that was in my to do pile. I purchased the box from Walmart. It was stained with Minwax Red Mahoney. I sprayed the entire box with Minwax Polyurethane because if I made a mistake on painting the box, the paint would not soaked into the wood and I could wipe the paint off before it dried. I painted the box using chalk paint.

I did not paint the inside of the box. It was stained and sealed using polyurethane.

Vases with Polymer Clay

I wanted to see if I could put some polymer clay on a vase, bake it in the oven, and have the clay stick to the vase.  Below is my first vase experiment.  I had a bottle, shape like a light bulb, that was just sitting in a cabinet.

20190824_140114.jpg20190824_140048.jpg

I figured the best way to get it to stick to the vase, was to put a thin layer of polymer clay around the vase and then put the design on it.  Since it was an experiment, I didn’t want to waste a lot of time with the design.  However, it does glow in the dark.

Since it was a success, I did four other vases.

The Sunflower Vase:  I wanted the top and bottom of the vase to look like the petals were coming from the center of a sunflower.

20190824_140629.jpg

20190824_140656.jpg

The Gold Flowery Vase:  From the beginning I wanted a gold lattice work around the vase.  The flower idea come later.   After it was baked, I applied paint to give it an antique look.

20190824_140241.jpg

The Shades of Red Vase:  The original intent was to cover the vase in black, then give it a stain glass appearance.  That idea change when I saw how nice the reds and pinks looked against the black.

20190824_140551.jpg

The Flower Vase:  I extrudes some blue/purple clay that was left over from other projects.  The intent for this vase was to have a delicate flowery pattern.

20190824_140401.jpg

After the vases were baked in the oven and cooled, I applied polyurentane to seal the clay.   Since the clay is not permanently stuck to the vase, I could probably take a sharp Exacto Knife to any vase that turns out poorly to remove the clay.

Acrylic Pour Coaster

I been wanting to create some Acrylic Pour Coasters for a while.  I purchased 4″ wood tiles from Michael’s and they traveled with me in my car for several months before a was able to work on them.

First, I applied white Gesso to both sides of the wood tile.   I mixed the paint in squeeze bottles.  The colors I used were pink, purple, grayish blue, light pink, light purple, green and white.  I love pinks and blues.

I let the tiles cure for about a month while I was out of town again. I cleaned the tiles with a mixture of Dawn and water, which I keep in a spray bottle.  A few weeks later when I got up the courage to apply resin, I poured resin over the coasters.

The tiles did not come out perfect, but it wasn’t a failure either.  The tray to hold the tiles was purchased from Hobby Lobby.  I stained the inside of the box and two sides.  The other two sides I applied Gesso and did a pour on the sides. 

I did not pour the inside of the tray, instead I cut out some white polymer clay and did a pour on top of the clay when I poured the tray sides.  After I cleaned the tray, I glued the clay to the bottom and applied several coats of varnish.

I glued cork to the back of each coaster using wood glue.  Below are the results.

Pour Painting – The Stools

Fluid Painting / Pour painting is amazing! I could sit and watch the videos all day.  My first attempt was the tissue box and it came out great.  (In my opinion!)  All of my sisters have birthday in January.  I thought they would each like a stool with the top poured.

First I sanded, stained and applied varnish to the stools, except for the top.  For the top,  I applied a coat of white primer.  After the top dried for a couple of days, I wrapped the stools in a plastic bag (except for the top) and tape around with bottom edge with blue painter’s tape.

The first stool, I used metallic acrylic paint that came in the 2oz bottles.  But, first a applied a thin layer of white metallic paint.  I applied each color separately.  After a lot of tilting and tapping, this was the result.

DSCN6972DSCN6974DSCN6969

The second stool, I used acrylic glitter paint.  I had the idea, but I first asked my sister “if they considered themselves a glitter family.”  The paint was applied the same way as the first stool.  White glitter paint first, then each color.

DSCN7038DSCN7030DSCN7032

I finished the stools by adding several coats of polyurethane.