Plain on the Outside

I purchased this box unfinished from Hobby Lobby. I had no idea how I would use it, but it serve for several years as a stand for my other projects while they dried. It about 24″ long and 5″ wide, so it was great for sitting items on allowing air to flow underneath.

My goal this year is to complete my unfinished projects. While I was staining my desk, this too got stained. Instead of painting the box, I decided to create a mosaic from polymer clay on the inside of the box. I left the outside of the box plain with a high gloss polyurethane coating.

Gradient Flower Vases

I can’t believe I am finally posting a couple of my vases. They have been done for over a year; sitting, waiting for their pictures to be taken so I could show them off in my blog. Other items were finished and posted after these vases were made. I thinks they are camera shy and hid everything I went to take pictures.

Some of my favorite flowers are the one that has multiple colors, especially the ones that go from yellow, to orange, to pink. My mother grew roses that were those colors and I thought they were absolutely beautiful.

I covered two glass vases with black Sculpey polymer clay. I blended yellow, red, and hot pink polymer clay and cut out each petal and center circles. I placed each petal on top of the black clay to make the flowers. After the flowers were formed I stamped each petal. I didn’t glue the petals on because it is clay,. Polymer clay items will stick to each other. Afterward, I baked to vases in the 275 degree over for about 10 minutes. When outside temperature was above 70 degrees, sprayed the vases with several coats of Minwax Polycrylic

The vases are not identical, but they are simular.

The roses were also made from Sculpey polymer clay. One day I should capture how I make roses.

More Polymer Clay Roses

Below are batches 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 of my polymer clay roses with leaves and stems.

Batch 2:

I took some white clay and blended one edge with some pink clay.  The leaves and stems contains three shades of green and gold clay.

IMG_1095IMG_1104IMG_1102 (2)

Batch 3:

The center of the roses were made from the clay left over from Batch 2.   However, there wasn’t enough for three flowers, so I mix a little red with the pink and white for the outer petals.

IMG_1105IMG_1108IMG_1107

Batch 4:

I wanted some flowers that glowed in the dark. I mixed bright pink, yellow, and orange clay with some florescent clay.

IMG_1115img_1117.jpgIMG_1118

Batch 5:

These red roses were also mixed with some florescent clay, but they do not shine as well as the pink roses in Batch 4.

IMG_1130IMG_1122IMG_1123

Batch 6:

I had just finished the yellow sunflower vase and wanted some yellow roses to put in the vase.  But, yellow roses would just be too plain.  The rose color from stem to the petal tips are hot pink, orange, yellow, and lemon yellow.

IMG_1074IMG_1078IMG_1079

Batch 7:

Some more vase inspired flowers.  I used the leftover clay from the vase.  I gently it mixed together to make the roses.

IMG_1089IMG_1082IMG_1084

Polymer Clay Crosses

I spent some time creating crosses from polymer clay, which was left over from all of the other polymer clay projects.

First the pretty crosses:

IMG_0925 (2)IMG_0926 (2)IMG_0929 (2)IMG_0930 (2)IMG_0947 (2)

The difficult cross:

Folding clay and braiding clay is a little bit challenging.

IMG_0910

IMG_0944 (2)

Interesting Crosses:

IMG_0934 (2)IMG_0935 (2)IMG_0932 (2)

The weird ones:

IMG_0933 (2)IMG_0937 (2)IMG_0939 (2)

IMG_0942 (2)

Do You See the Butterflies?

IMG_0940 (2)IMG_0908 (2)

Acrylic Pour Coaster

I been wanting to create some Acrylic Pour Coasters for a while.  I purchased 4″ wood tiles from Michael’s and they traveled with me in my car for several months before a was able to work on them.

First, I applied white Gesso to both sides of the wood tile.   I mixed the paint in squeeze bottles.  The colors I used were pink, purple, grayish blue, light pink, light purple, green and white.  I love pinks and blues.

I let the tiles cure for about a month while I was out of town again. I cleaned the tiles with a mixture of Dawn and water, which I keep in a spray bottle.  A few weeks later when I got up the courage to apply resin, I poured resin over the coasters.

The tiles did not come out perfect, but it wasn’t a failure either.  The tray to hold the tiles was purchased from Hobby Lobby.  I stained the inside of the box and two sides.  The other two sides I applied Gesso and did a pour on the sides. 

I did not pour the inside of the tray, instead I cut out some white polymer clay and did a pour on top of the clay when I poured the tray sides.  After I cleaned the tray, I glued the clay to the bottom and applied several coats of varnish.

I glued cork to the back of each coaster using wood glue.  Below are the results.