Another late post, but here are a few of the trees found at the Hastungs museum. The most interesting tree, beside the bead tree was the tractor tree.
I do not know the official name of this tree at the Stuhr Museum, but I am calling it the Carpenters Tree. It gets a special mention because of the uniqueness of the decorations.
At first, all you really see is Home Deport cards. If you look closers, you will see ornaments made from nails and screws.
Also, on the tree is wood panels each paint with a different design.
I found some Christmas gift ideas at the antique shops.
A Christmas Tree everyone needs.
Toy refrigerator, stove, and sink for those budding cooks.
Jewelry hanger. Yeah, I think it had another purpose originally.
A piggy bank that weighs about 20 pounds without the coins.
A can for your baking needs.
Donald Duck pull toy.
Where’s the chips?
A button snowflake. They had at least 6. They must be popular.
I know Christmas is over and the new year has started, but this was my main adventure for November and December.
Many months ago, I got the idea that this year’s Christmas card would be 3D printed. After many rough drafts, I decided on the “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” design.
The initial design phase went smoothly. And then, I had more ideas. The words on the tree should turn, so the tree would look like it had stagger branches. The words on the tree should be readable from any angle. Oh, it need a tree skirt and the simplest design would have stars on the skirt.
It then occurred to me the tree needed a train going around it. Well, the train could not literally go around it, because the size of the train. My printer would not be able to print the tiny detail the train would need to allow it’s wheels to turn.
I still was not entirely happy with the tree skirt. The tree needed presents. I designed three unique presents and place them under the tree scaling them to different sizes and placing them under the tree at different angles.
Designing the tree was the easy part. Printing the tree out, proved to be the most challenging part. The filament started grinding. I regularly had be dismantle the extruder box to remove filament. I also had to dismantle and reassemble the printer head on no least three occasions to correct issues. That is why only 6 of these Christmas tree were sent to friends and family.
There were eight .stl files created to print the tree.
The .stl files can be downloaded from youmagine.com.
Located off of one of the busiest street in Baton Rouge, you will find Bluebonnet Swamp. It was a nice morning for a walk.
Or, laying in the sun.
When visiting the swamp remember to:
- Stay on the path – their are critters larking in the swamp.
- Beware of touching plants – it could be poison ivy.
- Wear insect repellant – because the unofficial bird of Louisiana in the mosquito.
Ok, I have been slack about posting articles. Here are the reminding Christmas Ornaments I painted for 2015.
These two ornaments I painted for my niece, who asked that I bring her some snow.
I’ve painted all my ornaments in pairs.
I thought white, snowy Christmas was a nice touch.
Puff paint added some dimension to the ornaments.
Yes, these two ornaments are a little different.
Around this time of the year, I work on something that has a Christmas theme. This year I have painted some wooden Christmas ornaments. Most of the ornaments were purchased from Michael’s Craft Stores in Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana.
The bell ornaments were painted with multiple layers of red and green acrylic paint.
For all the ornaments, I selected the DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint because it is thicker then most paint and covers better. I used Delta Creamcoat for the gold metallic paint. Then I covered the ornaments with Delta Creamcoat Sparkle Glaze. The ornament probably didn’t need to be varnished after the glaze, but I wanted a good high gloss finish, so I put several coats of Miniwax Polycrylic on them. The Polycrylic has worked well on my polymer clay creations.
The snowflake ornaments, yes there are two of them, the base was painted with sapphire and then dry brushed with white paint. I left the edges unpainted because I thought it gave them an old fashioned look.
The angel ornaments were purchase at Hobby Lobby.
I selected yellow and green paint for the star ornaments. Before I applied the glaze, the green areas was dry brushed with gold paint.
The tree and bell ornaments were painted using the same process as described above.
The angel ornaments were purchased at Hobby Lobby. I should have taken time to sand these ornament, because there are a few rough places on them.
This post is Part 1 because there are more ornaments that are unfinished.