Surprise! This set of coasters glow under a black light.
Since Christmas is over and all presents should be unwrapped, I can share other set of coaster I did for a Christmas present. I did a fluid painting over each coaster, used a scraper to swap each coaster, and sealed them with resin. Cork was placed on the back. What I learned; taping is difficult.
Okay, the wait is over. The presents were wrapped, shipped, received and opened. Now, I can share them on my blog. Below is a set of coasters I made from my mom. I did a pour painting on top of 4″ wood tile.
These are the crosses I did for Mother’s Day gifts. I ordered the blank wooden crosses from ArtisticCraftSupply on Etsy in July 2016.
The top piece on the cross was stained. I left the back side of the top piece unfinished so I would have a better chance for the pieces adhering together when they were glued together. The bottom cross was sealed with white primer, several coats. I did a fluid painting pour over the top of the crosses using chalk paint. The colors were: Dark blue, white, light pink, light green, light purple and light yellow. I added Floetrol and water each paint color to help the paint flow, and silicon to the mixture to help form the cells.
After the bottom cross dried for several weeks, I cleaned the crosses with a mixture of Dawn and water. I sprayed the mixture on the crosses and wiped gently. After I let it sit for several weeks, I glued the top cross onto the bottom cross using wood glue. Several coats of glossy vanish was used to finish the cross.
I put a hanger on back of each cross attached with a screw. The screw goes into both pieces of wood, so if the glue fails I have a backup.
I love fluid / pour painting. I am not sure what the difference is, but I am still learning. This was my first attempt at putting silicone in the paint to make cells. I never thought I would like the cells, but my first attempt looks amazing.
Thanks to MomDot.com I learned that you could put Floetrol in your paint to make it flow easier, instead of more expensive alternatives. I used acrylic chalk paint because I wanted the matte finish look.
I hope they dry as pretty has they look now.
Fluid Painting / Pour painting is amazing! I could sit and watch the videos all day. My first attempt was the tissue box and it came out great. (In my opinion!) All of my sisters have birthday in January. I thought they would each like a stool with the top poured.
First I sanded, stained and applied varnish to the stools, except for the top. For the top, I applied a coat of white primer. After the top dried for a couple of days, I wrapped the stools in a plastic bag (except for the top) and tape around with bottom edge with blue painter’s tape.
The first stool, I used metallic acrylic paint that came in the 2oz bottles. But, first a applied a thin layer of white metallic paint. I applied each color separately. After a lot of tilting and tapping, this was the result.
The second stool, I used acrylic glitter paint. I had the idea, but I first asked my sister “if they considered themselves a glitter family.” The paint was applied the same way as the first stool. White glitter paint first, then each color.
I finished the stools by adding several coats of polyurethane.
It appears I forget to share my Piano Jewelry Box. Since, I give away most of the items I finish as gifts, I normally have to wait until after their birthday blog about it.
The piano box was ordered from Amazon in November with an expect delivery date in December. It was delayed so many times, Amazon threaten the supplier with cancellation if they did not ship it. It finally arrive in early January 2017, which left me with only two weeks to finish the box and ship it out.
The box was finished with ebony stain. I wanted to get it dark, really dark, like a grand piano. The box appeared to have the keyboard cover down, so I did not have to paint keys on the piano. The name plate was made with polymer clay. The balls on the legs were painted with silver acrylic paint and numerous coats of polyurethane to give it a high gloss shine.
I thought about putting music notes inside the jewelry box, but after some thought and test runs, I decided the space inside was small and it would not hold much. So, I made polymer clay roses and put them inside the box. The leafs were left overs from other projects. The roses were glued down and coated with several layers of polyurethane.
Maybe I should write a blog about how I make roses from clay. I make them differently than what I have seen on other websites. And, I have been making the same way since the Play-doh days.