Jewelry Box

In August 2016, my parents house flooded.  They had 44 inches of water in their home and they lost most of their belonging.  For Christmas I stained and put mosaic on a jewelry box for my mother.

dscn2763

The box was purchased from Hobby Lobby.  The mosaics was done with polymer clay, and for the grout I used glue and micro beads.

dscn2765

dscn2773

dscn2776

Several coats of polyurethane was placed over every surface, including the mosaic.

Glitter Ornaments

One of my Christmas projects for 2016 was to create glitter ornaments.  I purchase clear glass ornaments from Hobby Lobby  and made two packs of theses beauties.

Removed the top from the ornament and seat it aside.

Sprayed the inside of the ornament with spray glue.  Careful, if you miss the hole on the ornament, you get glue sprayed on your hand and it takes finger nail polish to remove it.

Pour glitter inside the ornament.  You do not need to fill the entire ornament, just enough to slick to sides.  Place paper towel and your finger over the hole and shake the ornament to distribute glitter.  I used extra fine glitter.

Remove excess glitter from ornament and let dry overnight.

Place cap back on ornament.

Decorate as desired.  I used glitter puff paint (fabric paint) to put the snow effect on the ornaments.

 

The Box Project

I found this box at Hobby Lobby and I had to finish it.  I decided to stain and varnish the box and for the cut out, to use chalk paint.  Since I never used chalk paint, I decided I needed a test piece to determine if I wanted an antique finished.

This is the test piece with the same chalk color and an antique finished.

DSCN8796
Needless to say, I did not go with an antique finish.

The box frame was stain in dark walnut and varnish with a clear gloss.  The cutout was stained in ebony.

DSCN8773

DSCN8774

I painted the inside of the lid to match the outside.

DSCN8779

To finish off the box, I decide to put a mosaic pattern on the inside of the box that match, not exactly, the cover of the box.  The mosaic tiles were made from polymer clay.  For the grout I used gold puff paint, a.k.a. fabric paint.

DSCN8788

The filler mosaic is a black, brown, turquoise, gold combination.  Since I had a lot of extra clay, I decide to use them on the test cross piece.  This is the final result.

DSCN8789

Birthday Card

Here are my first two attempts at making Birthday cards.  For the outside I used the templates from the Silhouette Design Studio.  On the inside, I font was used and another template.  Several cards will be made this month, because of the numerous birthdays in January.

I really need to learn how to get the insert correct if the card will have a background.

DSCN6752

Instead of gluing the dots back into the letters, I used my metallic marker to draw the dots.  Lazy? Maybe… but, more likely I am feed up with all forms of glue.

DSCN6750

Note to self – Check the quality of the photo before mailing the card.

DSCN6876

The signature was done with the sketch pen in the Silhouette while before the cutting was performed.

DSCN6878

I did save the cut letters.  I may want to used them in the future for another project.

 

Christmas Cards (2015)

Here is a preview of my handmade 2015 Christmas card.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The blue starry background was created using Coral Draw and printed on glossy photo paper.  The star, trees, and windows were created using Silhouette Studio and cut using the Curio device.  The star was cut on glitter paper, but the trees was cut on regular card stock and I glued the glitter on after they were cut.

Instead of having the window on the same cardstock, I thought using different pattern cardstock provide a wallpaper background and some uniqueness.

The inside of the card was the same for all the cards.

DSCN6465

I got the text and layout from the internet, but I recreated it in Coral Draw and printed it on card stock.  If I had thought about it before December, I would have created a inside scene and place it in a window frame.  So, the outside of the card would be looking out and the inside of the card would have been looking in.  But, there just wasn’t enough time.

The next card will have to be a birthday card.  There are so many birthdays in January.

Christmas Ornaments – Part 1

Around this time of the year, I work on something that has a Christmas theme.  This year I have painted some wooden Christmas ornaments.   Most of the ornaments were purchased from Michael’s Craft Stores in Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana.

The bell ornaments were painted with multiple layers of red and green acrylic paint.

For all the ornaments, I selected the DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint because it is thicker then most paint and covers better.  I used Delta Creamcoat for the gold metallic paint.  Then I covered the ornaments with Delta Creamcoat Sparkle Glaze.  The ornament probably didn’t need to be varnished after the glaze, but I wanted a good high gloss finish, so I put several coats of Miniwax Polycrylic on them.  The Polycrylic has worked well on my polymer clay creations.

The snowflake ornaments, yes there are two of them, the base was painted  with sapphire and then dry brushed with white paint.  I left the edges unpainted because I thought it gave them an old fashioned look.

The angel ornaments were purchase at Hobby Lobby.

I selected yellow and green paint for the star ornaments.  Before I applied the glaze, the green areas was dry brushed with gold paint.

The tree and bell ornaments were painted using the same process as described above.

The angel ornaments were purchased at Hobby Lobby.  I should have taken time to sand these ornament, because there are a few rough places on them.

This post is Part 1 because there are more ornaments that are unfinished.