Below is a text I received on Christmas Eve, and it is a scam! Either they were phishing for information or worst:
+1 (402) 378-1378Parcel Tracking: Hi, your package with tracking number ZZBURAHH is waiting for you to check the shipment address: spreadbrief.com/DemUgCq
It looked like it could have been legit with the a few problems:
- I never get text message starting in +1. I believe that to use +1 the message was probably sent from another country.
- I never seen a tracking number like “ZZBURAHH”. Personally, to me it sounds like “Brouhaha”
- I was only expecting packages from UPS or USPS.
First, I did a web search on the number. The results did not return any legitimate businesses. If a legit company was going to text me, I would expect to find their business on the web searching by their phone number.
Next I used WHOIS to look up the domain and I found problems:
- The domain was created the same day the text was sent.
- The domain owner was in another country.
- Most of the contact information on the domain was redacted for privacy. If you look at a legit company’s domain registration, such as UPS, they provide a mailing address and phone number.
Lastly, I emailed the text to myself and reported it to the domain provider. On WHOIS an email address is provided to report abuse.
Recommendation: Never click on a link you receive in a text or email.