Fluid Painting can be messy. You pour paint over the canvas and it drips over the edges. What a mess! I am not a clean freak, just a person working in limited space and I need my table to draw and do other things. So far, I have limited myself to 4″ canvases, and I have a 3D printer sitting right next to my work table… I decided I would design and print a stand for my pour paintings.
The maximum print size of my Ultimaker 3d printer is around 8 inches, width and length. The height can go up to around 12 inches. So, this project was perfect.
The catch basin is 5″ square, or in my design world 127mm, and 1″ (25.4mm) high. Just in case different colors dropped from the different edges of the canvas, I divided off the catch basin and add drain notches. It didn’t need it, but I placed pegs to hold the stand, and divided off this compartment to keep paint off of the stand. It took around 11 hours to print.
The design was done in Tinkercad and export as a STL file. The file was imported into Cura and where a .gcode file was made. I used the “normal” setting because the “fine” setting indicated it would take 23 hours to print. Therefore, some warping occurred because of the setting and because I select not to add a Brim support.
The stand was also designed in Tinkercad. It is 3 inches high. The break in the structure allows for air to flow under the canvas. It took around 4 hours to print.
The notches on top of the stand, allows me to put some other type of support under the canvas to lift off, in case I want to reuse the stand before drying is complete.
The finished product.
The colors, yes I used Color Shift paint by Folk Art and grab the black and 4 other colors.
Ok, some of the holes leaked. The center dividers should have been larger and I did not pour out of the basin as I expected. I do not know if I am going to tweak the design and reprint it or not. Probably.
I did get a cup (one ounce) out of the basin. It should go nicely with another pour.